If you are not using garlic in your dishes at home, you are missing out on many health benefits.
October is planting time for garlic in northern states.
About the same time as you would plant your crocuses and tulips. Each garlic cloves makes a complete garlic bulb next summer, if you plant it and let it overwinter in the soil. It’s easy to break apart the head of the garlic and put the separated cloves, point end up, in a bed of fertile soil. Be sure to mark where they are planted for easy locating next spring. Growing garlic is easy and delicious. Have fun with it!
Garlic has so many health benefits for the human body. Herbalists and naturopaths consider garlic as a miracle ingredient. With so many studies done on garlic, it was continuously proven to help in curing a variety of health problems.
As the saying goes, “Garlic can keep sickness at bay”. Because of the components of garlic, the body can fight off sickness and illness. What does garlic contain? It has water-soluble nutrients like enzymes, amino acids, vitamins and natural sugar. It also has oil soluble nutrients including sulphur compounds like alliin and allicin. Garlic is also known for its natural antibiotic properties. Although the sulphur compounds in garlic emit a pungent smell, there is no denying its medicinal uses. When you cook for the family, always include garlic in your dishes.
The Health Benefits of Garlic
- Garlic is an antiseptic due to its antibacterial properties. It can help cure wounds quickly.
- Garlic has antibiotic properties which helps the body fight off infections. Aside from that, garlic can help fight inflammation.
- When you have colds or coughs, just put raw garlic on your food and you will get better faster. Taking garlic supplements can help too but eating it raw is the best.
- A study in China shows that eating garlic regularly helps in preventing cancer.
- Taking fresh or cooked garlic will help lower blood pressure and prevent cardiovascular problems.
- Garlic increases high-density lipoproteins in the body.
- Garlic helps in reducing bad cholesterol in the bloodstream.
- Garlic helps keep the arteries and the heart healthy.
- Garlic helps in thinning the blood, which reduces the risk of blood clotting. It also improves blood circulation in the body.
- Garlic helps boost the immune system to fight off diseases.
- For people with respiratory problems, garlic can prevent and relieve chronic bronchitis and catarrh.
- Garlic acts as an expectorant for cough and nasal decongestants for colds.
- In the digestive system, garlic cleans the stomach and kills internal parasites. It cures flatulence and is a great internal antiseptic.
You probably did not realize how healthy garlic could be. Some just include it in food for design, flavor and scent. Now that you know the health benefits of garlic, it is a must that you include garlic in all the dishes you cook. Having garlic breath is definitely worth it. It is very cheap, yet the benefits are immense.